Saturday, November 23, 2013

Interview with photographer Brianne Wills

 About you:
 I'm a self-taught American photographer from Portland, Oregon currently living in Kiev, Ukraine with my husband and two cats.



              What is it that attracts you the most of what you have around you?  
I'm attracted to new environments and cultures. Traveling and living abroad is so inspirational and I'm constantly in awe of my surroundings.  That's what I love about Eastern Europe is that it makes for a perfect backdrop for photo shoots, whether it's a Soviet-style bloc, a gothic cathedral or even an open market. 




               Tell us about your experience as  photographer what did it give you? 
 Before I started working as a photographer I was shy, but this line of work has opened me up and forced me to become a "people person".  I've also become quite good at organizing events and bringing creatives together. Overall it has made me a more confident person.



                 Three adjectives to describe yourself.
 Introverted, passionate, ambitious.



                A film, a book and a song: 
 Harold and MaudeFreedom by Jonathan Franzen, and Room at the Top by Tom Petty



.



              What camera do you use?  lens?
 I use a Canon 5d with a 50mm 1.4 lens. As a second camera I usually shoot with my Yashica T4.



             Tell about exhibition if you ‘ve had any.
 I was part of The Art of Fashion exhibition in New York a few years ago. I will have some work in the Life Framer exhibition in London this year as well. 



            Do you sell prints? How do you make it and where can someone buy?
 I do have some prints available for sale on http://society6.com/BriAnneWills



            What was your most big success?
 I've had a few small successes along the way, including photos in Nylon and Spin and a portfolio onVogue.it.



           Favourite photographer.
 I have several on rotation. Currently they are Tim Walker and Mert & Marcus. I love Tim's surrealism and Mert & Marcus' crazy style.



            Describe some of your projects: 
Right now I'm mostly shooting fashion editorials for online magazines. I also have an ongoing "diary" project, which is more personal work that features my life abroad with my husband. 


 


           What is your occupation, job, interest besides photography. 
Cat mom… kidding. But really, photography is my full-time occupation. 


           
           Which advice would you give someone who wants to become a (professional) photographer?
 Don't accept jobs until you are confident in your abilities. Network! Network! Network! In the end it's all about who you know and who sees your work. You can share online, but if no one knows about it, then it doesn't really matter. The more people you meet in the industry and the more you write and introduce yourself to people, the better your chances are of getting work. This is advice I need to follow as well. 
          

            Your plans.  
My big plan is to move to New York in the not-so-distant future.  I'd also like to have a solo exhibition featuring work from my "diary" series. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...